MID-JUNE GARDEN

MID-JUNE GARDEN

Thursday, January 27, 2011

ANOTHER 18" OF SNOW!!

We are buried under another 18" of snow and so is my hoophouse.  I went out there the other day and found that the plastic is very brittle and cracks if I handle it too much in the cold.  The forecast calls for a few more inches of snow and then it is going to get very cold, so that I think that this snow is going to be around for a while.  That's OK by me, but I have to reconcile myself to the fact that I won't be getting into the hoophouse some time.  I plan to start a few tomato plants next week.  Last year, I started all of my tomatoes February 1 and thought that I made a huge mistake because they became too big to keep in the house, and they were almost too big to plant in the hoophouse too.  But I squeezed them in, kept them warm, ventilated and by the time the normal planting season came along, they had a great root system and were already producing fruit!  Plus, we had a very, very hot July, but my garden was well established and I think that the big tomato plants actually provided some shade to themselves and other plants in the garden.  In the end, I had a early, great harvest and so will stagger my starts to cover all the bases.  This year seems to be very much like last year, so I'll just follow last year's schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment