MID-JUNE GARDEN

MID-JUNE GARDEN

Sunday, February 6, 2011

DIGGING AT LAST - kind of!?

Eventhough it is icing out, I sowed my early tomatoes (cherry, roma and beefsteak) and broccoli in small, sterilized cells down the basement.  The 'seed starter' medium worked well last year, so I did the same for this year.  They are all covered with a clear, plastic cover and set on a heating pad, since both tomatoes and broccoli like to be a bit warm (~75-80 degrees) when germinating.  My tools were miniature - a toothpick and a flattened table fork.  I watered everything with room temperature water from my outside fish pond - instant fertilizer! I marked my timeline, referring to 2010 and 2009, so I can chart the garden's progress.  Last year at this time, I had already planted some of my greens in the hoophouse!   It felt so good to finally be working in soil, getting my hands (actually my finger tips!) dirty and actually gardening.  A huge ice and snow storm is supposed to hit here tonight and I am thinking that it might be sometime before I can dig my way to the hoophouses.  I should have left the gate open before the gate got stuck closed.  I'll mark that suggestion on next year's calendar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment